Pages

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Long Duration Balloon Launch

I love that I can start a story with, "On my day off I watched a balloon the size of a football stadium carrying 1000s of pounds of expensive scientific instruments get launched 120,000 feet into the stratosphere to collect data on the formation of galaxies".  Yup, that's a typical day at McMurdo.  The variety and breadth of science experiments currently underway in Antarctica is mindboggling.  Michelle and I were lucky to squeeze our way onto a van driving out to the LDB (Long Duration Balloon) facility and got dropped off at a little warming shelter 3 miles away from the launch site to watch the balloon.  Here are some photos of the event.  Watch the video of the launch by someone standing closer than I was.  For more information on the balloon and the payload data check out:  http://blastexperiment.info/index.php






The buildings on the right are the largest buildings in the world on skiers




No comments:

Post a Comment